From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:29:21 -0500
From: Karen Christensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Copyright and Intellectual Property: Essential Issues for Academic
Authors (60-minute online seminar)

Only $49 including advance materials and a one-hour live online
seminar with opportunity to get your questions answered. And it's FREE
for all Berkshire Publishing contributors (if you are a Berkshire
author or editor, you will receive a discount code in a separate
email).

Please join Karen Christensen, CEO of Berkshire Publishing, for a
60-minute overview of IPR for academics who write and speak. Learn how
to share and protect your creative and intellectual work and how to
ensure you do not infringe the rights of others. Available at no cost
to Berkshire contributors and only $49 for other academic authors.
Choose from one of three dates: 28 February, 6 March, or 13 March
2013. The time of day for each is different, to allow for professors’
teaching schedules. (Note: these have been scheduled for European and
American participants. If you are in Oceania or Asia, please let us
know about your interest and we will schedule appropriate times.)
Click here to register for one of our three dates.

You’ll learn:
* How to avoid expensive lawsuits
* What is your personal “intellectual property”
* When and how to share your own work
* What copyrights you should register, and when
* And much more

"The Chicago Manual of Style remains our bible, of course. But this
supplementary mother lode of information is still a required purchase
for anyone who works with words that will find their way to an
international audience." --Library Journal

This program developed out of Karen Christensen’s work with academic
authors, who face questions about copyright and intellectual property
rights at every turn. They have to police student papers for
plagiarism, while themselves dealing with permission for the material
they use in teaching. Their universities demand they sign over certain
rights as a condition of employment. They are asked to sign contracts
by journal and book publishers, and solicited for contributions
open-access publications. They are caught between the demands of
publishers for “all rights” and the university’s demands for copies of
published articles for an institutional repository, and their own
desire to share their work freely with colleagues and students.

When they are asked to speak on other campuses and at public events,
video cameras are rolling. The content of their speeches, as well as
their presentation slides, are being posted on websites. They are
writing blog posts and tweeting and discussing professional issues on
public and private listservs. And they are sharing content written by
other people with their students and colleagues, often without being
sure if what they are doing is legal.

This one-hour program is an introduction to copyright as it applies to
any academic author, whether he or she is still a graduate student or
is already a senior scholar who travels the world giving speeches and
interviews.

To be sure, there are academics who believe that copyright should not
apply to academic work and we realize that “open access” and
“copyright commons” are worth discussing. But they are not the subject
of Karen’s one-hour session. Instead, she is focused on practical
issues, and the information she provides comes from real-life
experience as well as research, and from extensive discussion with
lawyers specializing in intellectual property rights and FBI agents
specializing in cybercrime.

The course is available at no cost to any Berkshire Publishing author;
other scholars are welcome to participate, too, at a special
introductory price of $49. Click here to register for one of our three
dates. If you're a Berkshire author, though, please do wait for
another email with your discount code. And apologies for the
duplication of emails! We try to avoid this, but we now have so many
authors active in so many areas that there is inevitable overlap.

*******

Berkshire Publishing Group
122 Castle Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230