From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:54:42 -0400
From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 01:16:55 +0000

Yes Rick, You have restated the key point of those who disagree with
you. You are proposing the destruction of Green OA journals with your
policy if followed to its logical end, as you say below. Joe Esposito
clearly understands the implications while he lauds you talking
"common sense" to all us luddites.

IF there were any evidence libraries were willing to do what you
propose, then there would be cause for concern. So far, however, you
seem to be in the tiny but vocal minority, with as the ARL Blog Post
indicates with it's title, potentially costly and large consequences.

Some here might have missed the ARL post, but it says it all in the title:

Canceling Green OA Journals: A Very Expensive Way to Not Save Money
(while impeding your community’s access):  http://policynotes.arl.org/

Your point is one that's been made to you countless times in this
prolonged exchange from multiple individuals... you say

"More to the point, I have to wonder what is going to happen to the
publishers on whom Green OA depends, once Green has taken over to the
point that libraries can (as you put it) "rational(ly) and
constructive(ly)" cancel all their subscriptions. With all the
subscriptions cancelled, how will publishers continue to provide the
services on which the Green OA model depends for its viability?"

That is the issue underlying the critiques to your proposal.

Chuck

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 04:12:21 +0000

>But what you can be pretty sure of is that when a high enough percentage
>of Green becomes available to allow cancellation, it will not be from one
>or a few journals, but from all of them. So the Green will not be a basis
>for deciding to cancel this one rather than that one.

I can be pretty sure of that, can I? Hmmm. Is there some rational
basis for the belief that no individual journal will become
substantially Green until all journals have done so? Is someone
coordinating the timing across all publishers?

More to the point, I have to wonder what is going to happen to the
publishers on whom Green OA depends, once Green has taken over to the
point that libraries can (as you put it) "rational(ly) and
constructive(ly)" cancel all their subscriptions. With all the
subscriptions cancelled, how will publishers continue to provide the
services on which the Green OA model depends for its viability?

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah