From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:46:09 -0500
From: "Bargheer, Margo Friederike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:08:35 +0100

The German Science Foundation has just granted several German
universities with Open Access funds, to be spend on genuine OA
journal fees. Support for books is still missing but that's another issue
to be met.

The program runs for several years and most probably it is expected
that after that time institutions take over and support their scholars
from their own research budget. In the current situation the granted
institutions have to co-fund with at least 25%.   Göttingen we see
this as a test bed that allows us to promote OA publishing among
scholars and support all those that can't pay for OA due to their
respective funding scheme or lack of the latter. If scholars pick up
(and they have started to do so in the last years) we have to negotiate
for instance with our Ministry of Science for additional budget.

Electronic Publishing
SUB Göttingen
Margo Bargheer
+49 1515 288 1644