From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2017 18:22:15 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-CMA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 13:02:48 +0000

I’ve read all the comments with interest—but on the point, which I
often see reinforced in mass media (especially the not very well
informed sources), about “access to scholarship”—Elsevier and most STM
publishers provide for lots of ways for authors to share and post
preprints and manuscripts—our OA policies and Green policies
particularly are laid out here---
https://www.elsevier.com/about/open-science/open-access -- most of
these policies by the way have been in place for a decade or more and
pre-date the prevalence of Internet sites of any kind.

As a general proposition, we draw the line at the Version of
Record—which is after all the version of the article where the
greatest investment takes place involving the editing/publishing
process.  We do not object and specifically identify sharing policies
for preprints and for pre-final manuscripts—although we do require the
compliance with embargo periods for revised author manuscripts and
commercial sites (we are also a supporter of the STM sharing
principles guideline for scholarly sharing/networking sites).  In all
of this we are trying to find the right balance between accessibility,
scholarly communications and a viable business model (for the
non-OA/subscription side).  As many of you will also know, our OA
journals and options are also growing very rapidly.

It does mean that when it comes to posting of non-OA VoRs, or embargo
violations by commercial sites, we will take legal action from time to
time, if we are not able to come to a reasonable agreement with the
site (which is always our preferred option).

Best,

Mark

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier
(: Direct: +1 (781) 663-2241; Mobile: +1 (781) 354-4429

Internal Elsevier Legal department intranet site:
http://nonsolus/legaldepartment/
External information at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/homepage.cws_home