From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 22:05:41 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 12:23:52 +0000

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for this reply.

The more I look at this policy, the more complicated it seems to be.
Does this mean that the same paper could be subject to different
embargoes on self-archiving, if it was written by authors from both
sides of the Atlantic?  One embargo imposed on U.S. co-authors and a
shorter one imposed on U.K. co-authors?  Or would all co-authors
benefit from the shorter embargo allowed for the U.K. co-authors?  Are
any other countries subject to this differential rules (we have a
large number of papers co-written by U.S. authors and authors in
Asia)?

It does seem to me that the message from this aspect of the new policy
is that funders, especially government funders, should insist on the
shortest possible embargos and be inflexible about them.  Otherwise
U.S. authors find themselves at a competitive disadvantage vis-à-vis
their British counterparts.

I appreciate your continued discussion of this involved and difficult
policy change.

Best,

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith
Director, Copyright & Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries