From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:06:43 -0500
From: Kristen Garlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:55:10 -0500

Apologies for cross-posting….

Hello – In March 2012 we announced Register & Read
(http://about.jstor.org/rr), a program designed to serve people who
have no or partial access to JSTOR. Individual scholars and
researchers can register for a free account that enables limited,
online reading of articles in JSTOR archive collections. We’re happy
to announce that we have recently expanded the program to include
access to more journals; our press release is below.

One of the criteria for expanding the program has been to ensure that
students are not using Register & Read in lieu of their existing
institutional access, and so far we have seen very little evidence of
this. We’ve worked to improve the visibility of institutional login
options for users, including the implementation of our Institution
Finder.  We will continue to monitor this,  and will continue to work
to direct people to their library logins in prominent places in their
workflows.

Best regards,

Kristen Garlock
Associate Director, Education & Outreach - JSTOR

****************

Jan 08,2013 Update

JSTOR offers free online reading access to the archives of 1,200 of
the world’s most prominent journals

January 9, 2013 – New York, NY – JSTOR, the not-for-profit digital
library of thousands of academic journals and other content, announced
today that the archives of more than 1,200 journals are now available
for limited reading by the public. This is part of a major expansion
of JSTOR’s experimental program Register & Read
(http://about.jstor.org/rr), in which people can sign up for a JSTOR
account and, every two weeks, read up to three articles online for
free.

Today’s announcement follows a successful 10-month test during which
more than 150,000 people registered for reading access to an initial
set of 76 journals.

“Our goal is for everyone around the world to be able to use the
content we have put online and are preserving,” said Laura Brown,
JSTOR managing director. “Register & Read provides a virtual way for
anyone to walk into the JSTOR library, register at the door, and
‘check out’ a limited number of articles for reading.”

Journal archives from nearly 800 scholarly societies, university
presses, and academic publishers are now included in Register & Read.
These organizations license and entrust their content to JSTOR and
share the goal of providing far-reaching access to scholarship.

Kate Duff, director of strategic partnerships and analytics for the
Journals Division of The University of Chicago Press, has been an
enthusiastic supporter. “We were very pleased to be part of the test
period and with the resulting interest shown in the 5 of our journals
that took part. All our journals were used and ranged in subjects from
biology to economics and sociology,” said Duff. “It’s exciting to now
have the opportunity to extend access to our entire journals portfolio
through this important new initiative.”

With Register & Read, JSTOR is providing an unprecedented level of
access to its archival collection to the general public. While this is
among JSTOR’s first initiatives to provide access directly to
individuals unaffiliated with educational and cultural institutions,
it continues JSTOR’s long history of innovative approaches to
expanding access to academic content. JSTOR has offered free access to
not-for-profit institutions throughout Africa since 2006, and fees are
waived or reduced for institutions in many other countries around the
world. In addition, all journal content published prior to 1923 in the
United States and 1870 elsewhere has been free to the public since
2011. In the 1990s, JSTOR also pioneered tiered fee structures for
libraries, setting a standard that has provided more widespread and
affordable access to academic content to libraries and educational
institutions of all sizes. The result is a global network of more than
8,000 libraries in 167 countries – all of which are authorized to
provide free walk-in access to the journal archives on JSTOR if they
wish.

Now, with Register & Read, people can visit JSTOR directly and read
any of more than 4.5 million articles for free. They can put up to
three articles on their bookshelf where they must be held for a
minimum of two weeks, after which more free articles can be shelved.
In addition, for 40% of these articles, people also have the option of
downloading them to keep or read offline for a fee.

“We have a deep commitment to test new approaches that expand access
while also sustaining the JSTOR online library and preserving this
content long into the future,” added Brown. “Register & Read is still
an experiment for us, but we are thrilled by its initial success and
are excited about this next step in its development”

JSTOR

JSTOR (www.jstor.org) is a digital library of more than 1,600 academic
journals, 15,000 books, and 2 million primary source objects. JSTOR
helps people discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content
through a powerful research and teaching platform, and preserves this
content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a
not-for-profit organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico.