From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:42:57 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:58:49 -0600

Well, the "others" would have to include Peter Suber, who issues the
SPARC Open Access Newsletter and has devoted time in some issues to
distinguishing "libre" from "gratis" OA.  If there were only one
meaning of open access, it would make no sense for Peter to have
engaged in these discussions. I think the OA movement is shooting
itself in the foot by trying arbitrarily to restrict the meaning to
just "libre" OA because, among other reasons, that approach will
effectively put almost all of what we now call OA book publishing
beyond the pale and divorce it from the movement. Does it make any
sense to encourage such division in the movement?

Sandy Thatcher