From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2016 19:59:47 -0400
From: Amanda Wakaruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:09:07 -0600
Subject: Re: Canadian copyright modernization act
It would be interesting to see evidence beyond the much-criticized PWC
report (which happens to include data series that begin in 2009,
immediately after the global financial crisis of 2008).

In addition to the blog post Rob shared earlier, I'd encourage you to
consider Meera Nair's comments on this topic, available in part, here:

Meera Nair. With due respect to PricewaterhouseCoopers. August 3, 2015.
https://fairduty.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/with-due-respect-to-pricewaterhousecoopers/

"The script remains unchanged: that existing industries are
threatened, they are endeavoring to cope with a strange new world, and
if their demands are not met then culture and attendant jobs will go
the way of the dodo bird. A modest historical exploration would
confirm that the printing press did not end the creation of literature
(or the art of calligraphy), musical composition did not stop because
of the player piano, the film industry did not collapse with the
arrival of the VCR (indeed, studios found new markets in the form of
the home-movie-collection), and digital technology has strengthened
the music industry today."

Amanda Wakaruk, MLIS, MES
Copyright Librarian, Copyright Office
Learning Services, University of Alberta