From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:25:28 -0400
From: "Mr. Gunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:11:41 -0500

In this talk about the hypothetical cancellations, let's not lose
sight of the fact that the mission of both libraries and publishers in
this respect is to provide access to research for the researchers.
From the researcher's perspective, it doesn't matter so much WHO is
providing the access, so long as they can get what they need. They
certainly don't have such a strong preference for the upselling,
(excuse me, community building) that publishers can provide, that they
would put up with reduced access in order to have such community
building opportunities.

So with the demographics of this email list noted, I feel like it
would be good to see the discussion start from what the researchers
need, as opposed to just how to maintain one of the current methods of
meeting that need. If it turns out that publishers need more eyeballs,
(and don't they always), they still have a number of ways to reach
people and perhaps they can learn a trick or two from what the other
content industries are doing with engaging their readers through
content creation. See http://inside.flipboard.com for a good example
of old media learning some new tricks.

Respectfully submitted,

William Gunn | Head of Academic Outreach | +1 646 755 9862
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn