From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:37:07 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 09:14:18 -0500

I know that ILL is not free for librarians. The last time I looked
into this I came across estimates of $35 per loan. If there is more
recent information on this, I would like to know. This is ILL for
print books, of course; ILL for ebooks would be a very different
matter, one which may be constrained by copyright law. I have no
expertise on that matter.

My point about ILL and DDA/PDA is that DDA for electronic books is
likely to displace ILL for print (for those books that appear in DDA
aggregrations). A short-term loan may cost less than the $35 for print
ILL. Publishers are likely to support this because they receive no
income from ILL, but receive revenue from DDA (which is shared with
the aggregator and author). It's a win-win, is it not? Libraries have
lower costs, publishers receive income. The trucking companies lose
out.

Joe Esposito