From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:07:37 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:13:35 +0100

I'm not convinced by Anthony's version of history - especially his
assertion that the only anti-OA lobbying has been on the issue of
mandates.

Let's remind ourselves of the 2004 UK House of Commons Science and
Technology Committee inquiry into scholarly publishing.  The evidence
is all available at:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/39902.htm

There were three main 'anti-OA' lines from the publishers in both the
written and oral evidence that had nothing to do with mandates:

1. OA is unnecessary as big deals have given everybody who needs
access the access they need.

2. Gold OA through publication charges will pervert peer review (see,
for example, the answer of Crispin Davis from Elsevier to Q65 in the
first oral evidence session)

3. OA will put information into the hands of the ignorant and
uneducated leading to dangerous results (see, for example, the answer
of John Jarvis from Wiley to Q19 in the first oral evidence session)

The perversion of peer review was, of course, picked up in the PRISM
campaign - fronted by the AAP/PSP (and paid for by whom I wonder?)
that attempted to equate open access to junk science
(http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2007/08/publishers-launch-anti-oa-lobbying.html)

These lines of argument diminished as BMC, PLoS, Hindawi, etc, etc,
proved the viability of high quality OA journal publishing, but let's
not pretend that there was no lobby against OA in general 10 years
ago.

(I would also argue that the lobbying on copyright and mandates has
been damaging, but at least Anthony concedes that it exists!)

David