From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:18:53 -0400
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 20:27:48 -0400

Rick's institution's position should be recognized as a direct
reversal of the protocol that obtained from the origins of the modern
doctoral dissertation until very recently indeed.  The dissertation
was intrinsically a publication and its defense a public act:  the
public-ness was an important part of the institution and the defense a
formal coming-out party for the new scholar.  When dissertations began
to be Ann Arborized rather than published (I take the phrase from a
deceased friend who claimed to be the first, in about 1960, doctoral
candidate at his American university to Ann Arborize rather than pay
to have the dissertation printed -- he was an Irish priest with no
money to pay for it), then the eventual transformation of the
dissertation into a book from a university press became more common.

If we reverted to publishing in purely electronic form all
dissertations and acknowledging them as publications, what would
become of the first book crisis?

All that said, I don't know when I first heard of active, much less
acknowledged and condoned, resistance to publication, but I want to
say it is no more than 20 years ago:  I'd be glad to hear real data on
that point.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown