From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:11:05 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:25:01 -0600

I'm not sure why making money for your stockholders--which is what
commercial companies are supposed to do--should be called "avaricious"
behavior.  These are not non-profit, mission-driven organizations;
they are businesses out to make as much profit as the market will
bear.  Lowering prices would be rational for them to do only if they
could gain greater market share by doing so and hence enhance overall
revenues.  Librarians need to stop thinking that commercial publishers
are, like them, public servants; they do what they do to make more
money for their investors, and they succeed or fail on that basis and
that basis alone. If librarians want to change the game, they should
stop giving in every time one of the commercial publishers offers a
special discount, under the veil of an NDA, to induce continued
subscription to a Big Deal. Commercial publishers know how to play
this game well, and they seem to win out every time.

Sandy Thatcher