From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 20:12:48 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 23:48:36 -0500

Some authors, who are registered with the CCC, get payments from the
CCC directly. Most authors get a share of income through their
publishers, if those publishers (as many university presses do)
include a sharing arrangement in the terms of their contract). At Penn
State our contract shared all such revenue 50/50 with authors. A few
authors even made thousands of dollars over the years. Publishers
don't need to "track" income from CCC; the CCC reports it regularly to
publishers and provides a place on its web site where publishers can
get lots of information about what income is generated through the
CCC's programs.

Also -- Written transfers of copyright were not required under the
1909 Copyright Act. Only after the 1976 Act came into effect in 1978
did publishers generally start using contracts for copyright
assignments.

Sandy Thatcher