From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:21:39 -0400
From: Cynthia Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:44:39 -0700

Thank you Ken, I'm glad you asked this question.  I've been thinking
about Google Scholar lately.

I work in a medical library and I like searching in PubMed because it
converts keywords to Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), so it goes
beyond a keyword search (e.g., I search "heart attack" but I get all
the articles with the MeSH "Myocardial infarction").  Doesn't Google
Scholar depend on matching keywords?

Several times I have encountered full text links to journal articles
in Google Scholar for items that are not available online from our
library.  I think that some of these resources were posted without
publisher consent.  Is it wrong to refer a student to this online
resource?  I've sent the link to students, but not a copy of the
document.  This practice just doesn't feel right to me.  I guess I
could tell the student to search it themselves in Google Scholar, but
I don't like it when people tell me to "Google it."

Cynthia

Cynthia Porter
Distance Support Librarian
A.T. Still Memorial Library, Arizona