From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:44:58 -0700
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:40:00 +0000

It may seem less surprising when you reflect that these works were
written and published under the terms of the 1909 copyright act.  In
those bygone days there was no federal copyright that vested
automatically in the author.  Unpublished works were protected by
state statutory or common law.  Federal copyright only came into
existence upon publication with notice. There was still a presumption
that the author was the person entitled to the federal right, although
the law referred to authors or "proprietors," but authors certainly
had less certain expectations that they would own a federal copyright.
 And notice and registration in the name of the publisher or employer
without the formality of copyright transfer was not uncommon. Finally,
there was no detailed definition of works made for hire, so there was
often a broader presumption that employers owned the rights, in the
sense of being the appropriate claimant upon publication.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC 27708