From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:06:17 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:49:48 +0000

While I share, to a degree, at least, Sandy's sense of unease about this
practice, when I break it down I have a hard time figuring out just where
it would actually "run afoul" of the law.  The initial copy is, under the
facts provided, made by an authorized user of a database acting within the
scope of the database license.  And I don't see how we can argue that a
person in possession of a lawful copy cannot share that copy with someone
else. It is not at all clear to me that only the author is entitle to this
kind of single copy sharing.  Even if first sale does not apply due to the
nature of digital copies, such individual sharing from one person to
another would seem like a persuasive fair use.  What is "system[atic]" or
"widespread" about the practice is nothing more than the way the requests
are communicated, i.e., via Twitter.  But can the use of social media to
distribute not the copy, but merely the request for the copy, really
transform something that otherwise looks legal into an infringment?

Puzzling.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC 27708