From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 19:06:48 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 11:05:46 -0400

As one of the original signatories of Budapest, I feel compelled to
respond to Sandy Thatcher. First of all, the Budapest declaration is
not the end all, or definitive definition of OA; it is only the first
public one signed as a group.

Now, regarding the issue of "venerability by virtue of ancestry" that
Thatcher seems to bring up, let me remind this list that People like
Jim O'Donnell, Michael Strangelove, Stevan Harnad and myself (and
others I forget) were advocating OA from the late '80's. Ann Okerson
was also involved in these early efforts.  In my own case, the
journals Surfaces began publishing in November 1991 (thus a bit after
similar endeavours by O'Donnell and Harnad), and was immediately in
OA. In Montreal, we had been working on finding the ways to launch
this publication since at least 1989 when we received a grant in the
form of equipment from Apple. Psycholoquy appeared earlier, as did
publications launched by Jim O'Donnell. So, if we go into the ancestry
game, some of the OA advocates present at Budapest (Leslie Chan,
Stevan Harnad, yours truly and probably a couple others I am
forgetting now) were indeed pushing this open access line, at least
locally, quite early. But so were others, not present at Budapest, who
practised OA, but have not advocated it in a central way.

I am actually puzzled by Thatcher's reaction. Reviewing the thread in
the messages below, I do not see any reference to Budapest. Why this
outburst? May I also remind Thatcher that the request to have CC-BY as
the preferred mode could be mentioned only after CC licenses were
developed, and that was after Budapest.

In conclusion, original signatories of the Budapest document have
constantly felt involved in what OA means, but, since 2002, OA has
also evolved, if only because we all understand the nature of digital
documents a bit better now than before. That these original
signatories should continue to feel engaged with the very notion of
what OA means is not particularly surprising, but anyone else is
welcome to join in (and I do not think an invitation is needed here as
plenty of people have - rightly so - invited themselves).

PS The Budapest meeting was on December 1st, 2001, not 2002 as
Thatcher claims; the BOAI appeared on February 14th, 2002 as a sequel
to that meeting. Just to keep dates clear and clean.
--

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire