From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2015 19:32:31 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:18:10 +0000

This is interesting, Jim.  Amazon UK shows multiple print copies
available, mostly paperback.  I did not see the early part of this
conversation, so I may be just repeating a point already made, but
this could be the result of copyright issues.  Ulysses is at least
arguably still protected by copyright in the U.S., but is clearly in
the public domain in the U.K. and elsewhere.  So there may be little
incentive to publish or distribute it in the U.S., suggesting yet
another instance where our hyper-protective copyright laws backfire by
discouraging rather than encouraging the availability of creative
expression.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries