From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:57:51 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:32:43 -0600

Within universities that have presses, traditionally more expertise
on copyright issues resided with press staff than library staff.
This began to change somewhat as photocopying became a
contentious issue in the mid-1960s and resulted in sections
107 and 108 of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976.  Libraries became
even more involved as issues involving e-reserve systems came
into play in the 1990s. Now one often sees in announcements of
openings for a "scholarly communication" position within libraries
that the person holding this position is expected to have some
expertise about copyright.

By contrast with press and now library staff, legal departments
on campuses rarely have anyone who knows a lot about copyright.
It is only one of a great many legal issues that such departments
are tasked to deal with and, by comparison with other issues, hardly
the most important. (Just attend a NACUA conference sometime,
and you will understand why copyright is way down on the list of
priorities for on-campus lawyers.) And copyright is not important
because universities have followed the tradition of not exercising
their legal right to consider faculty work as "work made for hire"
but instead taken a hands-off position of allowing faculty to control
their own copyrights entirely. (This started to change a bit when
some universities began to see benefits in at least becoming co-
owners of copyright in courseware and when they began advising
faculty about retaining certain rights so as to be able to populate
new IRs with faculty articles.) Within the ambit of IP law, patents
and trademarks have been far and away more central to university
administrations' interests than copyrights have. It is therefore not
surprising that IP offices on campus have plenty of staff knowledgeable
about trademarks and patents, but few if any knowledgeable about
copyright law; there is big money in the former, but little or none in
the latter.

Since there are only some 85 American university presses,
librarians have played a much more pervasive role in advising faculty
and students about copyright issues than presses have. Interestingly,
of course, librarians and presses disagree about some copyright issues,
and on campuses where both exist, the administration has to sort out
which view to support in lobbying and other activities. Almost always,
the library wins out over the press when such disagreements exist so
far as overall campus policy on copyright is concerned. Presses often
feel somewhat isolated on campus when it comes to debates over
copyright.

Sandy Thatcher