From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:51:43 -0500
From: Shirley Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:44:02 -0600

I thank you all for your replies about the Nature Communications OA conversion.

Perhaps my point wasn't entirely clear.

The journal is completely OA for submissions from Oct 20th onwards.
Before that date it was hybrid.

I did a quick search on Pubmed and found that there are 2,260 articles
in Nature Communications with publication date 2014 (up till this
morning) of which 620 are classified as having free full text, 27%.
The average number of days between reception and the articles being
accepted was 135 days for these 620 articles (minimum 14 , maximum 528
days to be precise!).

Therefore I would imagine that most published articles would be OA
from the beginning of March 2015 or thereabouts onwards, and that
Nature Communications will of course have charged APCs for these.
(Hope there aren't any statisticians reading this!)

But those libraries that want access to the ever reduced number of non
OA articles still coming through the system in 2015, will have to pay
the same amount of subscription in 2015 as they did in 2014. So a lot
of money for a lot less toll articles.

I think that this is perhaps relevant to Ann Okerson's note about the
JISC "Total cost of ownership" and double-dipping the other day:

http://listserv.crl.edu/wa.exe?A2=LIBLICENSE-L;61192b95.1411

I hope that is a little clearer.

This is electronic and not print access, answering Rick Anderson. And
as the great majority of the articles published in 2015 will be OA, as
it is now obligatory, we have the 'choice' of paying a full year
subscription for the minority of articles that are not.

And to answer Melanie Hall, I have checked with the Nature people and
also their faq and press release:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/faq/index.html

I understand that from January 2016 there will no longer be a current
subscription, though we will be able to purchase access to those years
for which we didn't have a paid suscription.

And I am not quite sure if I agree completely with all Sue Gardner
says, but thank her for her intervention.

Shirley

Shirley Ainsworth
Bibliotecaria/Librarian
Instituto de Biotecnologia, UNAM