From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:26:12 -0400
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:53:34 +0100

I'm not sure Anthony is right about 'most' learned societies publishing in
association with a larger (often commercial) publisher

When I checked the Ulrich's statistics in 2007, 8027 publishers were listed
with (socie*, socia*, institu* or istitu*) in the publisher field (another
3531 had (universi*)). 4994 of these combined groups were publishing active,
refereed scholarly journals. The average number of journals per publisher in
these two groups was just 2.42, which suggests to me (given that it includes
large UPs such as Oxford, Cambridge, Chicago etc) that many of them were
probably publishing only one title.

Sally

Sally Morris
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex, UK  BN13 3UU
Email:  [log in to unmask]