From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:21:21 -0400
From: David Groenewegen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:24:14 +1000

The cakes situation has nothing to do with fair use because it is a
trademark issue, as is pointed out in the article:

"This sort of enforcement is probably typical, says Megan La Belle, an
assistant professor of law at the Catholic University of America,
because the burden of trademark protection always falls on the holder.
“Trademark owners must ‘police’ their marks, or they risk losing
protection,” she adds."

The other example given, with the painter, is not just a fair use
issue either as was noted in a previous article:
http://chronicle.com/article/Appeals-Court-Stiff-Arms-U-of/132235/

"The court also ruled that the university's own actions—displaying and
even selling Mr. Moore's unlicensed works—undermined its ability to
strictly enforce its trademark rights."

Worth noting that the painter had missed out on pretty substantial
revenue while this was happening. This was not "small dollars".

I'm not saying that this wasn't overkill by the university, but
trademark law is not the same as copyright and fair use does not
apply. Not defending the trademarks could cost the uni a lot more.

David

David Groenewegen
Director, Research Data
Australian National Data Service
Physical Address: 680 Blackburn Road, Clayton, Victoria
Postal Address: c/o Monash University VIC 3800
AUSTRALIA