From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:20:10 -0500
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:09:56 -0500

Sandy, I'm all for OA to monographs, of course.

It's mandating OA to monographs that I am very skeptical about,
because there is unanimity among researchers about desiring -- even if
not daring, except if mandated, to provide -- OA to peer-reviewed
journal articles, whereas there is no such unanimity about monographs.

Not to mention that prestige publishers may not yet be ready to agree to it.

So mandate Green OA to articles first; that done, mandate (or try to
mandate) whatever else you like. But not before, or instead.

Meanwhile, where the author and publisher are willing, there is
absolute no obstacle to providing OA to monographs today, unmandated.

Stevan Harnad