From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:32:39 -0400
From: David Shumaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 07:51:36 -0400

My institution has access to the Harvard Business Review through
Ebscohost. Each HBR article is displayed with the following statement:

“Harvard Business Review and Harvard Business Publishing Newsletter
content on EBSCOhost is licensed for the private individual use of
authorized EBSCOhost users. It is not intended for use as assigned
course material in academic institutions nor as corporate learning or
training materials in businesses.  Academic licensees may not use this
content in electronic reserves, electronic course packs, persistent
linking from syllabi or by any other means of incorporating the
content into course resources. Business licensees may not host this
content on learning management systems or use persistent linking or
other means to incorporate the content into learning management
systems. Harvard Business Publishing will be pleased to grant
permission to make this content available through such means. For
rates and permission, contact [log in to unmask]”

This seems to me to be an extreme example of what Yochai Benkler calls
the “permission culture”, as if designed to thwart just about any
mention of the HBR in teaching – without permission. I’ve requested
clarification from the appropriate officials in my institution, but
while waiting for their response I thought I’d share the question with
members of this list. Have you seen this or similar terms, and what do
you make of this statement?

--David Shumaker