From:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2017 20:38:25 -0400
From: Shirley Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:38:23 -0500

Recently we have heard on LibLicense about Elsevier demands against
Sci-Hub, a kickback by Finnish researchers supporting negotiators
against Elsevier's monopolic behaviour when attempting to negotiate
big deals, and their  (mis)-information about the OA transfer of
Sociologie du Travail.

In spite of never (knowingly or recently) having signed in to Science
Direct I received an email today which begins:

"Hello , here are some personalized article suggestions based on your
latest ScienceDirect activity".

In the past I have occasionally had to sign in to another of their
products, Scopus, to set alerts but in spite of always being careful
to sign out again, it is clear they are tracking my activity, and I
assume pretty much everyone else's. I may well be living in Cloud
Cuckoo Land but that makes me very uncomfortable.

Shirley

--
Shirley Ainsworth
Bibliotecaria/Librarian