From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:54:06 -0500
From: Donald Mastronarde
Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dear friend/colleague,

I am a member of the editorial board of a new scholar-driven
publishing venture in classical studies, and I am writing to you to
invite you to learn about the profile and aims of the series and to
consider submitting your work or recommending our series to others.

California Classical Studies (CCS) is intended to foster peer-reviewed
long-form scholarship with online open access and print-on-demand hard
copies and availability of epubs in standard formats. The primary aim
of the series is to disseminate basic research (editing and analysis
of primary materials both textual and physical), data-heavy research,
and highly specialized research of the kind that is either hard to
place with the leading publishers in Classics or extremely expensive
for libraries and individuals when produced by a leading academic
publisher. In addition to promoting archaeological publications,
papyrological and epigraphic studies, technical textual studies, and
the like, the series will also produce selected titles of a more
general profile.

Initially we are seeking especially the work of tenured and senior
scholars who believe that scholarship should have the widest possible
dissemination without barriers of subscription fees or per-item costs
and who want to advance the process by which academic culture and
personnel processes are adapting to the changing conditions of
scholarly publication. By setting an example with high-quality
scholarship by established scholars, CCS hopes to create an
environment in which untenured scholars too will feel comfortable
publishing in this way.

By long-form scholarship, we mean anything longer than a standard
journal article (as short as, say, 80-100 printed pages). In inviting
data-rich work, we also have in mind producing some hybrid works,
consisting of a “book” (to be read for free online or purchased in
print or in an epub format) and supplementary materials available only
online (images, plans, map, datasets, and the like).

For more about the series please visit calclassicalstudies.org. If you
or a colleague have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me.

Donald Mastronarde
Chair, Editorial Board, California Classical Studies