From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 18:13:30 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:08:27 -0700

I don't find the comparisons between publishing and chocolate to be
very convincing either.  For years Jason Epstein used to compare
publishing to the economic scale of ham or something like that.   But
he wasn't trying to persuade anyone that the number is irrelevant.
His point was that publishing is a niche business, which it is.

The most persuasive arguments are the facts.  People buy things that
they think are useful. They don't buy things that they don't think are
useful.  To say that libraries buy things that they don't think are
useful is a libel.  People like that little niche business called
publishing, and that's why they pay for it.

Conversely, how many people would pay to use an institutional
repository?  I was involved with such a project a while back.  No
takers.

Joe Esposito