From:
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:33:39 -0400
From: Lorraine Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:45:57 -0700

University of California Press Announces Plans to Roll Out Two Open
Access Products

Oakland – University of California Press is entering into the Open
Access space with the launch of two new products: a mega journal
focused on three core disciplines (life and biomedical sciences,
ecology and environmental science, and social and behavioral sciences)
and a monograph program designed to take advantage of rich, digital
formats.

This move is part of University of California Press’s mission to bring
progressive scholarship forward in ways that continue to meet the
academic community’s needs for greater discoverability, accessibility,
and audience reach. Rollout for both products is planned for 2015.

“We’ve long known that Open Access would be a part of our future, but
wanted to consider all aspects of how we delivered on its promise,”
said Alison Mudditt, Director, University of California Press. “We
spent a lot of time during our strategic planning phase involving the
academic community we serve—researchers, faculty, and librarians—and
hearing their ideas on what we anticipate will be seen as different
and innovative approaches.”

As part of rollout previews, Mudditt will discuss UC Press’s OA
monograph publishing program at a panel discussion co-hosted by the
Harvard Library Office for Scholarly Communication, the Berkman Center
for Internet and Society, and the Authors Alliance, Thursday, October
30 at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. This discussion, “Authorship
in a Digital World: How to Make It Thrive,” will address challenges
and opportunities facing authors in the digital age.

Yesterday, Dan Morgan, UC Press Digital Science Publisher, presented a
three-minute “lightning talk” during International Open Access Week.
The event was part of the “Bay Area Open Access Week Event for
Generation Open,” Berkeley Skydeck, Berkeley, CA.

***

University of California Press is one of the most forward-thinking
scholarly publishers in the nation. For more than 100 years, it has
championed work that influences public discourse and challenges the
status quo in multiple fields of study. At a time of dramatic change
for publishing and scholarship, we collaborate with scholars,
librarians, authors, and students to stay ahead of today’s knowledge
demands and shape the future of publishing. Each year, UC Press
publishes approximately 175 new books and 32 multi-issue journals in
the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
www.ucpress.edu

Contact: Lorraine Weston
Associate Director of Publicity