From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:20:33 -0500
From: Mark Chesnek <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:28:54 -0500

American Physical Society and Rutgers, The State University of New
Jersey, Jointly Announce Appointment of Troy Shinbrot as Editor,
Physical Review Applied

Ridge, NY, 14 November 2013 — The American Physical Society (APS) and
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, are pleased to announce
jointly that Troy Shinbrot, a professor in the Biomedical Engineering
Department at Rutgers, has been appointed Editor of Physical Review
Applied, the newest APS journal.  Launching in 2014, Physical Review
Applied will publish the highest quality research across all aspects
of experimental and theoretical applications of physics, including
their interactions with other sciences, engineering, and industry.

"We are fortunate to see so many excellent scientists as excited about
this new journal as we are and willing to contribute to its
foundation," said Paul Fleury (Yale University), chair of the search
committee. "Troy Shinbrot's qualifications, the breadth of his
research interests, and his vision for the journal made him the best
person for the position."

Shinbrot holds a PhD in Physics from the University of Maryland. He
held positions with the Xerox Corporation, and AD Little, Inc. before
coming to Rutgers in 1998. He was elected an APS Outstanding Referee
in 2008, the first year of the program. In his vision statement, after
pointing out the reduction of signal to noise in scholarly publishing
over the past decade, Shinbrot said: "Our job is to boost the signal
by publishing consistently first-rate science with clear and
compelling applications. There is no shortage of these, from GPS to da
Vinci surgery; from holographic laser tweezers to high-resolution
tomography; these applications all came from physics, and the pace of
similar developments will only accelerate."

"With Dr. Shinbrot as Editor of this vital new journal, I am confident
in Physical Review Applied's future. I expect that the journal will
take off rapidly and quickly become a great resource for applied
physicists.” said Gene Sprouse, APS Editor in Chief.

A call for papers will be made soon.

--Contact: Amy Halsted, Special Assistant to the Editor in Chief,
[log in to unmask], 631-591-4232.

About APS: The American Physical Society (www.aps.org) is a non-profit
membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge
of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific
meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy and international
activities.  APS represents 50,000 members, including physicists in
academia, national laboratories and industry in the United States and
throughout the world.  Society offices are located in College Park, MD
(Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, DC.

About Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey: (www.rutgers.edu)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey,  is a leading national
research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public
institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that
meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that
breaks new ground; and to providing services, solutions, and clinical
care that help individuals and the local, national, and global
communities where they live. Founded in 1766, Rutgers teaches across
the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate
to graduate; postdoctoral fellowships to residencies; and continuing
education for professional and personal advancement.

Mark Chesnek
APS Marketing Manager, Journals
journals.aps.org/prapplied