From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:01:42 -0400
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:45:55 -0400

Alicia Wise also linked to this chart in her posting of 4 June, and
I happen to agree that the clarifications are more crisp and thus are
useful -- and in some cases actually increase share-ability.

In the extensive liblicense-l discussion on this whole matter, Rick
is the one commentator who references the chart.  Others haven't
commented - perhaps they haven't yet looked at it?

The largest amount of heat has been generated over the length
of embargoes, some (?) being as long as 48 months, presumably.
Now, I've assumed that Elsevier (like Springer, Wiley, and others)
distributes (or publishes, if you will) a number of journals that
it doesn't own or control.  These are likely produced by societies
and research organizations and contracted with Elsevier.

What I next assumed is that the owners of those journals are
responsible for their policies about revenue, access, editorial, etc.
And so, it would be up to them to decide about the length of the
embargo period, not necessarily Elsevier.  Since Alicia noted
that the length of embargo is an ongoing topic of conversation
at Elsevier, I also assumed that as much as possible Elsevier
would like to rationalize or normalize the embargo period, but
is not always able to do that.  So I've not laid the responsibility
for longer embargo periods squarely at Elsevier's door.

Is this correct (Alicia, please!) or am I wrong here (possibly
many readers will tell me that I am.

Regards, Ann Okerson