From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 08:34:54 -0500
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:10:53 +0000

Rick,

As I’m sure you’re aware, Open Editions and OECD have each developed
freemium open access models that provide frictionless, check-out-free,
access to the full text of our content to non-subscribers.
Non-subscribers don’t need to register, they can simply turn up and
read their fill - there are no embargoes and the read-only versions
are facsimiles of the versions of record. In OECD’s case,
non-subscriber (and subscribers) can share and embed our read-only
files on social platforms and websites. Subscribers get access to
premium versions of the content, basically, downloadable, actionable
files, plus off-line support. Happily, both Open Editions and OECD are
finding that our freemium business models are generating sufficient
revenues to foot our bills, pay staff and fund investments - as well
as serving a growing readership on a legal and legitimate basis.

I would argue that our model, if adopted by other scholarly
publishers, would make SciHub largely redundant. Besides being legal
and legitimate, I believe freemium is the fastest route to making all
science freely accessible to all in a financially sustainable manner.

Toby Green

OECD