From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:25:58 -0500
From: "Maher, Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:47:07 +0000

As you may have read in as early as Spring 2013, the NIH will hold
processing of non-competing continuation awards if publications
arising from grant awards are not in compliance with the Public Access
Policy (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-13-016.html)

We librarians may be in a unique position to work with publishers to
address the backlog of non-compliant publications from our respective
institutions. One idea would be for publishers to give authors amnesty
against copyright violation for depositing PDF copies of the final
formatted, published peer-reviewed article to PubMed Central.

Another idea addressing future publications would be to work with
vendors and subscription agents to add language into our license
agreements that will hold publishers accountable when they agree to
process publications funded by NIH grants into PubMed Central.

Here at NYU School of Medicine we have partnered with our Offices of
Compliance and of Science and Research to build awareness and guide
faculty through the policy requirements.

Is your library involved in NIH Public Access Policy compliance? Has
anyone spoken with their vendor reps about the new NIH Public Access
Policy implications?

Other thoughts?

Kind regards,

Stephen Maher