From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:58:09 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:43:46 -0500

Yes, as Jim says, we now have a choice of reading books in a wide
variety of formats on a wide variety of different platforms. But,
basically, the book has remained what it has always been since the age
of Gutenberg, viz., a linear document with a beginning, middle, and
end. The advent of new technology has done little to change this.
There are two exceptions, both related and both originally funded by
Mellon: the ACLS Humanities Ebook Project and Gutenberg-e. Both were
inspired by Robert Darnton, who wrote about a new type of
multilayered, multidimensional, interactive document in his classic
NYRB essay "The New Age of the Book" (March 1999), which can be freely
accessed by Googling the title.

The first of these projects focused on works by senior scholars, the
other on revised dissertations. The latter was operated by Columbia
University Press, the former by a separate entity that drew upon
participation by some twenty presses.  The ACLS project was more
successful financially than Gutenberg-e, mainly because it
incorporated backlist titles in newly digitized form.  Gutenberg-e
struggled for a variety of reasons, as I pointed out in this article
in Against the Grain:

https://scholarsphere.psu.edu/files/9880vr53k#.VRh6izvF9q4.

(One reason is that book reviews of professional journals insisted on
having a hard copy of an online work that had no exact print
counterpart.) But both served to pave the way toward a different kind
of future. It would appear, from the description of these two new
Mellon-funded initiatives, that that future has arrived. Better late
than never.

Sandy Thatcher