From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:12:40 -0500
From: Robert Glushko <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:41:48 +0000

Can confirm.  This is what happens at U of T.

From: "Maher, Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:21:16 +0000

Hi Richard,

In my experience publishers monitor the rate of downloading from an
institution’s IPs. If the rate exceeds “normal” usage, the publisher
notifies the institution with information of when the excessive
downloading occurred and over which IPs. More often than not the
excessive downloading occurs over the IP address connected to an
institution’s proxy server. The institution then attempts to identify
the username(s) associated with the downloads and temporarily suspends
it.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
Stephen Maher, MSIS
NYU Health Sciences Library

From: Richard James <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:53:34 -0500

having taken a (cautious) look at sci-hub for the first time recently-
since I try to make a rule of not visiting Russian file-sharing sites
if given a choice- I was struck by the fact that retrieved articles
are stamped with the usual retrieval information specifying the
institutional source for the pdf etc.

Which raises the question in my mind: is it possible to find out if
one's own library is being used to contribute to this mass-piracy
criminal enterprise, and if so, what should one do about it? Presuming
that it's impossible to get 'delisted' from sci-hub, what kind of
protections can be put in place to minimize risk?