From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:52:21 -0400
From: Michael Mabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 08:12:41 +0100

List members might be interested to know that STM takes the issue of
unprofessional behaviour very seriously. As the leading international
trade body for academic and professional publishers we strive for the
highest professional standards in the publishing industry. We vet
every candidate for membership generally and with reference to our
Code of Conduct. We have turned down a number of recent applications
where we felt candidates did not yet correspond to the standards that
authors, readers and customers should reasonably expect. We do not
discriminate over business models and have open access publishers as
members as well as those using non open access models or a mixture.

I do think it important that in discussing this issue we stick to
clear objective criteria like those listed in Ina Smith's post,
although I would respectfully suggest membership of STM as a criterion
as well!

Best, Michael

Michael A Mabe
Chief Executive Officer
International Association of STM Publishers
Prama House, 267 Banbury Road
OXFORD, OX2 7HT, UK
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web:   www.stm-assoc.org