From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:15:51 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 21:59:52 -0400

I was under the impression that Elsevier did not publish the journal
that accepted the "sting" article, but that Elsevier has a services
arrangement with the journal's publisher.  Am I mistaken about this?
It's a material item.  In a service relationship, Elsevier ( or any of
the publishers that do this kind of thing, including Wiley, OUP,
Cambridge, Springer, Sage, etc., etc.), the service provider has not
involvement with editorial selection.  Consider the alternative:
would anyone want a service provider to be telling the professional
societies whose journals they host and distribute what to publish?

Assigning responsibility in a situation like this is complicated.  But
once again we should thank Bohannon for making everybody pay
attention.

Joe Esposito