From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:41:45 -0500
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
To: LibLicense-L Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:04:59 -0500

(1) With "immediate, permanent, free, on-line, full-text access (to
refereed research articles)" ("Gratis OA") the following automatically
comes with the territory: local, individual downloading; local,
individual storage; local, individual print-off; local, individual
data-crunching; metadata harvesting and full-text inversion and
indexing and search/navigation by google and other search engines;
linking; universal dissemination of URL. (That's not
'read-on-screen-but-nothing-else-OA'!)

(2) It is the re-use rights that turn Gratis OA into Libre OA that are
somewhat fuzzy and open-ended, with many "flavours in-between" along
the possible re-use continuum. Scholarly/scientific article texts and
their authors are -- unlike music, video and open software and their
creators -- not necessarily amenable to mash-up.

(3) If Libre OA had been the definition of OA, we would not have the
(small, but growing number of) institutional and funder (Green,
Gratis) OA self-archiving mandates that we have so far. Libre OA calls
for much more than Gratis OA and is hence harder to get publishers and
even authors to agree to, hence harder -- perhaps impossible -- for
institutions and funders to mandate.

But once we have Green, Gratis OA mandated universally, there will be
more and more Libre OA, as a natural matter of course, where needed
and wanted by authors. (Already with Green, Gratis OA there is a
solution for the re-useability of figures and tables: the author's
Green OA final draft is not the publisher's proprietary format -- and
XML will make this even more flexible for re-use: All authors want
their figures and tables re-used [with attribution], but not all want
their texts mashed up...)

[The co-drafters of the BOAI definition of OA (of which I was one)
were not prophets or oracles; we tried to express a new idea, for the
first time, and the idea has evolved with time as its implications and
possibilities became clearer. We need to keep it in mind that all
Libre OA is Gratis OA, yet we are far from having universal Gratis OA
as yet, although it's fully within reach through universal Green
Gratis OA mandates. Best not to over-reach till we have first grasped
what is already reachable.]

Stevan Harnad

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM, David Prosser wrote on LIBLICENSE