From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:52:57 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:18:39 -0500

That's a ridiculous extrapolation from what I said. My remark had
specifically to do with revised dissertations, which I presented
evidence about selling less well than regular books (in Latin American
studies) and suggested that one possible explanation was a bias in
ordering them--a suggestion that was earlier confirmed by an expert at
YBP, before Mike Zeoli interjected some information leading to a more
nuanced view (which, nevertheless, still suggested a strong bias
against revised dissertations as published by commercial publishers).
How to leap to the conclusion that I was arguing that publishers
should be making all the decisions about all books is beyond me.

Also, I don't know why YBP would bother to ask university presses to
distinguish between revised and unrevised dissertations. University
presses NEVER publish unrevised dissertations.  Now some academic
publishers, like Edwin Mellen Press, might. But I would challenge YBP
to name one book published by a university press (i.e., a member of
the AAUP, not a "university press" like the University Press of
America) that was an unrevised dissertation.  It is a silly question
to ask.

Sandy Thatcher