From:
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:21:39 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:08:13 -0500

It occurs to me that there is one very simple way for places like
OASPA and DOAJ to check whether journals are actually using peer
review in a responsible manner, whatever their stated policies may be.
Just ask a journal whose integrity has been questioned to supply a
list of scholars who have been consulted as reviewers in the past year
or six months, without needing to have them identify which articles
they have reviewed. Then contact a random sample of those scholars to
ask them directly if they have prepared reports  for the journal
during this time period.  This should be a relatively simple procedure
to carry out. Does anyone know if this kind of inquiry has been
pursued?

Sandy Thatcher