From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:50:41 -0400
From: Anali Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 01:03:34 +0000

Hi Ann,

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in my earlier response. Unpaywall only
searches institutional repositories and publisher sites, so it's about
as legal as one can get - assuming all articles on publisher's sites
are legal, as well as whatever posted on a repository being vetted by
repository management. Regarding which version, if it is on a
publisher's site, it will be the final published version. If it is on
a repository, the default assumption is likely author's final
manuscript, but most repositories have some indicator about which
version was archived - there are some cases where final published
version is allowed, for example, and the repository description would
probably reflect that.

Hope that helps,

Anali Maughan Perry
Associate Librarian - Collections & Scholarly Communication
Arizona State University Libraries
(480) 727-6301
http://libguides.asu.edu/profile/amperry
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7173-4827