From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:09:41 -0500
From: Jennifer Castaldo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:30:50 +0000

Thanks for all of the feedback that I received on my question
regarding the Economist license. I also got many replies off-list and
all of those agreed not to sign with that language as well.

Just to clarify...I work at Johns Hopkins University on a team that
runs a separate online library for Excelsior College.  So, this
question pertains to the Excelsior College Library and does not affect
the JHU libraries or their collections.  This is an issue for us as a
small, online Library, since we do not have the Economist in print and
it was dropped from Ebsco.  We do not get it in any other packages
like some larger libraries might.

However, after much back and forth, (well actually just back since
they did not budge at all even when I suggested just adding the word
"Reasonable"), we decided to do exactly what Sally described and did
not move forward with the subscription.  We will monitor any requests
over the next year to determine if our users miss it, but I am
guessing they will either use the few free individual articles they
are allowed or use something else.  No one has complained yet and it
was dropped from Ebsco a while back...

Best,
Jennifer

Jennifer Castaldo
Distance Education Librarian/Electronic Resources Manager
Entrepreneurial Library Program
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21218

Excelsior College Library