From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2017 19:56:09 -0400
From: Michelle Polchow <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:16:18 +0000

Hi Christy,

I abandoned this project about a year ago because the license was so
bad, but you might ask for a license from Geolytics.
http://www.geolytics.com/

At the time, one of the "worst" clauses was to take public domain
materials out of the public domain!  It was also stressing how you
were forbidden from commercializing their datasets.

Best wishes with your project!

Michelle

Michelle Polchow, MSLIS
Electronic Resources Librarian | Collection Development
George Mason University Libraries
4400 University Drive, MS 2 FL
Fairfax, VA  22030
Phone:  703-993-3714

________________________________

From: Christy Jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:19:20 +0000

I am teaching a CE class on E-Resource Management at a professional
conference this spring.  One of the group activities involves
reviewing a license agreement, comparing it against a checklist of
clauses, and assigning it a grade (A, B, C, D, or F) based on the
contents.  In addition, participants will be identifying key points
they would earmark for negotiation with the publisher.

I have lots of examples of library-friendly (or “model”) agreements
and quite a few “okay” or acceptable agreements.  But I don’t seem to
have any truly awful ones in my files.  If someone in the group has
one they’d be willing to share with me, I’d be most appreciative!

All info identifying your institution or the publisher can be
redacted, if need be.  I’m not looking to vilify anyone!  Just wanting
to encourage the class participants to review licenses with a critical
eye and be on the lookout for problematic clauses.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Christy

Christy Jarvis, MLIS
Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library

10 North 1900 East  Bldg 589
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5890

PHONE: 801-581-3031; FAX: 801-581-3632
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]