From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:04:46 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 22:50:48 -0500

Isn't it odd that, in selecting students for admission, even the
rejected ones are expected to pay some of the costs of review of their
applications, through application fees, whereas in journal publishing,
the tradition has grown not to charge rejected authors for the
processing of their submissions despite the costs involved? Why have
these two different traditions taken root as they have in academe in
different areas where reviews of submissions are undertaken?

Sandy Thatcher