From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:11:08 -0500
From: "Friend, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:10:38 +0000

Stevan's analysis of the way in which open access was developing
alongside licensing is very important. We need to understand the way
in which OA developed in order to avoid the kind of distortion of OA
that emerges from time to time. I was also going through a time of
fluid thinking at the same time as Ann and Stevan. For me a
combination of pragmatism and vision led me away from licensing to
embrace OA. The pragmatism came as I realised that licensing was
simply not working. The theory was that the big library consortia
could produce more access at less cost, but gradually it became clear
that the increase in access was only in the number of journals online
- not in the number of people having access - and that the cost was
still increasing well above inflation. So in my mind the question was
if licensing is not working, what is the alternative? That is where
the vision element entered my thinking, because the open access people
definitely had a vision - read the text of the BOAI if you do not
believe me. Vision is different from ideology, and also different from
the religious fervour we were accused of. Vision in the BOAI is
essentially earthed in the reality that had to be changed.

Fred Friend
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL