From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:25:23 -0400
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:16:07 +0400

Hi All

Stevan Harnad wrote:  "Since neither Jan Velterop nor Ken Masters seem
to have looked at Jeffrey Beall's published criteria, I append them
below:"

I'd really like to know how he arrived at that conclusion about me.
My questions were clearly suggested as questions to be directed
towards the person identified as sending the letter concerning Jeffrey
Beall.  These are, however, fairly standard questions, and if anyone
wishes to ask them of anyone else (or if Jeffrey Beall wishes to
address those), that's fine by me - there is no copyright on them.

Perhaps a re-reading of my mail would be appropriate.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education

On 24 March 2013 20:23, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 01:06:13 -0400
>
> >From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
> >Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:07:58 +0100
>
> >The questions Ken Masters suggests are very sensible. Wouldn't it be
> >fair if they were also be asked of Jeffrey Beall when he puts a
> >publisher on his list, effectively alleging that those publishers are
> >'predatory'? Are they? Are they being satisfactorily answered?
>
> >From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
> >Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:09:12 +0400
> >
> >Serious allegations indeed.  Perhaps some questions to put to him are:
> >
> >- Do you have actual evidence beyond your own opinions?  (Not that
> >one's own opinions are necessarily invalid; it's just good to know
> >their basis, beyond speculation).
> >
> >- Has this evidence (and your conclusions) been verified by other
> >independent professionals?
> >
> >- Is the process by which you have arrived at your conclusions based
> >on established and professionally-recognised procedures, or have you
> >determined these yourself?
> >
> >- As the allegations carry possible implications of criminality, has
> >any of this evidence been shown to law-enforcement officials?  If so,
> >what was their reaction; if not, why not?
> >
> >- Do you have any conflict of interest in the matter (Not necessarily
> >financial - conflict of interest can come in many forms, including
> >status and recognition by the various parties involved, and by the
> >broader professional community).
>
> Since neither Jan Velterop nor Ken Masters seem to have looked
> at Jeffrey Beall's published criteria, I append them below:
>
> http://scholarlyoa.com/2012/11/30/criteria-for-determining-predatory-open-access-publishers-2nd-edition/
>
> Stevan Harnad

[snip]