From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:45:55 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:39:52 -0500

The reference to the Scholarly Kitchen in Sean's post caught my
interest because I am a contributor there.  No one speaks for the
Kitchen; there is no overarching editorial policy, though Kent
Anderson assiduously deletes my references to the Beatles and the
Yankees when they exceed a quota.

Speaking for myself, real solutions to the problems of scholarly
communications abound.  PLoS ONE is one of them.  PeerJ is another.
ScienceDirect is also a solution, as is arXiv and the publications of
the American Chemical Society.  This is a diverse field.  There will
be no single, comprehensive solution.  Indeed, I remain befuddled by
the notion that there is even a problem.  Unsustainability is a good
thing.  All things must pass (the Beatles again), and when they do,
they encourage us to innovate and come up with better solutions--and a
whole new set of problems.

Joe Esposito