From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:30:25 -0500
From: Michael Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:11:08 -0500

Hi Bob,

No, in the United States, you can't transfer the exclusive rights under
copyright without signing a written agreement to that effect.  In the
absence of a signed writing, the author retains the exclusive rights and
the publisher is said to have been granted an implied non-exclusive
license to publish.  In the absence of a signed writing, a publisher that
asserts that it owns the copyright in a misleading copyright notice is
itself legally problematic.

-Mike

Michael W. Carroll
Professor of Law and Director,
Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property
American University Washington College of Law
Washington, D.C. 20016

Faculty page: http://www.wcl.american.edu/faculty/mcarroll/
Blog: http://carrollogos.blogspot.com
Creative Commons: http://creativecommons.org