From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:42:26 -0400
From: Julie Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:36:04 +0000

One of our members gave me this info the other day:
---
"Julie,

We have a local subscription to the World Bank eLibrary and I also
received a message from World Bank yesterday saying that that
subscription would not be affected by this announcement. So we're
going to take a look to see how the subscription compares to what we
can get free. From their FAQ, they wrote the following.

11. Will the World Bank eLibrary remain a subscription product?

Yes. The World Bank eLibrary remains a subscription-based product that
adds value through its enhanced functionality. The World Bank eLibrary
offers a variety of conveniences for librarians, researchers and heavy
users of Bank research outputs and knowledge products. These tools
include MARC records, the ability to personalize content alerts and
bookmarking content, and a powerful search engine. It also has current
articles published in the World Bank Research Observer and World Bank
Economic Review.

A new and enhanced version of eLibrary will be launched later this
year that will offer mobile access, allowing even more flexibility for
sharing, using, and re-using the Bank's knowledge. The new eLibrary
will be XML base and will allow users to access books and reports at a
more granular level - such as by chapter, table, or figure. Among
other features, users will be able to build custom ebooks from
eLibrary content that can be used as course packs for classroom use,
create alerts, bookmark content, and much more."
---

So, I guess it means libraries can decide if they want to pay for the
functionality, since the content itself shouldn't have a charge. But
will the cost then decrease?

Julie

Julie C. Blake
Assistant Director for Electronic Licensing, OhioLINK

From: Ann Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:20:07 -0400

Re. the World Bank's announcement - that its research outputs and
knowledge products are being made freely accessible on the Internet -
mean that libraries will no longer need to pay subscription fees to
the World Bank?

Or if the subscription fees continue, presumably they will be for
functionality/services, and not content?  In that case, will prices be
reduced, or?

Thanks for clarifying this.  Ann Okerson