From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:14:13 -0400
From: "Peter B. Hirtle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:49:41 +0000

Though legislative history is out-of-fashion in some circles, one
might add to Kevin's excellent response the discussion found in the
House Report that accompanied the 1976 Act:

"There is also no need for a specific statutory provision concerning
the rights and duties of the co-owners of a work; court-made law on
this point is left undisturbed. Under the bill, as under the present
law, co-owners of a copyright would be treated generally as tenants in
common, with each co-owner having an independent right to use or
license the use of a work, subject to a duty of accounting to the
other co-owners for any profits."

(Earlier the report notes that "the coauthors of the work are likewise
co-owners of the copyright.")

Peter Hirtle